Children's Event for June 2013
Erica Siskind, Children's Services Librarian at the Rockridge Branch, wanted to let you know about the following Children's Activities in June 2013:STORY TIMES:
- Family Story Time every Saturday at 10:30 am
- Preschool Story Time every Thursday at 10:30 am
- Toddler Story Time every Thursday at 10:30 am - upstairs!
- Bananas Parenting Workshops Series: New, expectant, & experienced parents; please join us for the last of four classes offered by Bananas experts: Language & Brain Development Tuesday, June 4th, 7:00 pm. Madeline from Bananas will share essential information for parents of children from birth to age 5. This should be an exciting discussion. Quiet activities will be offered for children within the room.
- We Need You! We are looking for volunteers ages 11 to 16 to help us with the Summer Reading Program. We need people to explain the game to younger children, register kids, show them how to record their time on their reading log & on the computer, give out prizes, and help with special activities. We also need help with regular library tasks like sorting and shelving books & movies. Call Erica at 510-597-5017 with any questions or to attend a brief orientation.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM!
- Saturday, June 15th, 2013 is the Start Date! Sign up, get your reading log, choose whatever you want to read, and get started reading! Count time whenever you read or someone reads aloud to you, and GET PRIZES at 4 and 8 hours!!!
Other Exciting Events
- City-wide Bubble Party: Saturday, June 15th; 11:30 - 12:30. Celebrate the start of Summer with us by blowing and popping bubbles! Also happening at other locations on the same day, at various times.
- National Paper Airplane Day: Friday, June 21st; 4:30-5:15 pm. Make awesome paper airplanes & launch them from our balcony.
- Xtreme Science Magic: Saturday, June 22nd, 2:30 pm. A fun combination of science & magic for all ages.
- Magical Moonshine Theater: Tuesday, June 25th, 7:00 pm. Bilingual musical performance with puppets & masks.
- Coming in July & August: Many more performances & activities, including Dan Chan the Magic Man, Busy Bee Dogs who do tricks, The Bubble Lady, a Cooperative Cookbook-making Potluck Dinner Party, National Night Out Butter-Making Songs & Stories, and a Foodie-Movie night. Details to follow.
Teen Activities for June and July 2013
Vicky Chen, Teen Librarian at the Rockridge Branch, wants you to know about the following Teen Activities for June and July:
- Teen 'Scape: Join other teens every Wednesday after school 2:00-3:30 pm for playing video & board games, making crafts, and enjoying light snacks. This program will be ended on June 12. Call: 510-597-5017.
- Duct Tape Wallets: Make your own wallets with bright colorful duct tapes. Material will be provided. June 5 at 2 pm.
- Rockridge Ninjas: Come watch Anime with us! We meet 5-6:30 pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.
- Go Game workshop: Learn to play an Ancient Chinese game, Go. This workshop is presented by Steve Bloom of It's Your Move Games and Hobbies. June 11 at 5 pm
- Rockridge Teen Advisory Board: Help advise the library how to better serve teens -- and get community service credit for school! 1 - 2 pm First Saturday each month.
- Teen Summer Passport Program: Teens will explore Bay Area hot spots or write book reviews to earn prizes and raffle tickets. The program starts June 15 and ends August 10.
- Henna Program: Have a temporary tattoo from a Henna artist. July 27 at 1 pm.
East Bay Chronic Pain Group at the Rockridge Library
(Note that the group will not meet on June 18 because the library will be closed.)
FORL’s Year End Fundraising Drive a Success!
|Erica Siskind with a globe that was purchased with FORL funds in 2012.|
The Oakland Public Library System has faced many challenges in recent years, but our Rockridge branch remains a bustling and vital part of our community. Much of the thanks for this goes to our outstanding library staff, who have continued to work hard and manage to do more with less. Gay Ducey, who had been the Children's Librarian at the Rockridge Branch for many years, has taken on a new role as the branch manager for the West Oakland branch. We will remember Gay’s amazing story hours and the special gift she has for working with children. She will be greatly missed.Read more: FORL’s Year End Fundraising Drive a Success!
Free Baby Bootie Camp
|Clearly, a baby with sleep issues.|
The Oakland Public Library is hosting a FREE Baby Bootie Camp. New and expectant parents are invited to join us at various branch libraries for a series of classes, offered by experts from Bananas. Classes run from April to June. "Sleep Issues" will be at the Rockridge Branch on Saturday, April 13th at 11:15 a.m.
- Baby Language and Brain Development
- Yoga with Baby
- Sleep Issues
- Baby Massage
Art Exhibit Schedule at the Rockridge Branch
Second Floor Gallery
- June 2013: “Tunnel Visions” Photographs of the Caldecott Tunnel Fourth Bore, by Rebecca Rosa
- July 2013: Benny Alba "Road Series" Prints
Lobby Display Case
- June 2013: Lori Fischer, Dolls 4 Artsake
- July 2013: Kim Anderson "Adornment" Jewelry Display
Note that exhibits are subject to change. Please call 510-597-5017 to confirm or if questions.
Rockridge Branch Teen Zone
The new Rockridge TeenZone is now open! We have over 4500 teen books, audiobooks, manga, graphic novels, DVDs, CDs, magazines, and video games. The Zone also has:
- Five computers for teens
- Comfortable seating
- Tables for studying and projects
- Improved displays for teen materials
Read more: Rockridge Branch Teen Zone
Rockridge Library Hours
The Rockridge Branch Library's Regular Hours are as follows:
Lawyers in the Library
Free legal advice and referrals.
Lawyers in the Library is a free service held at the Rockridge Branch Library on the first Tuesday of each month from 5-7 pm. We recommend you reserve a spot by signing up at the library on the given day at 4:45 pm. Note that our volunteer lawyer leaves the library before 7 pm if no more people are present.
Note that an event won't be held on January 1st, 2013 since the library will be closed.